ActiveX in Firefox,The Mozilla ActiveX Project

Written by on November 29, 2005 in Firefox Extensions, Utilities - 23 Comments

The Mozilla ActiveX Project is a set of projects that allow you to use Mozilla in an ActiveX environment and vice versa.

Previous versions of Netscape Communicator/Navigator were arguably superior to IE as day to day browsers but they suffered through their immediate usability and modularity. Although the Netscape browser was great as a standalone application, it wasn’t possible to utilize that functionality in third party applications. On the other hand, Internet Explorer shipped with an ActiveX control which allowed exactly that ability.

This great project include :

• Mozilla ActiveX Control : Embed the Mozilla browser engine (Gecko) into any ActiveX application. This control implements the same APIs as the Internet Explorer control making porting of existing applications reasonably straightforward.
  • ActiveX Control For Plug-ins : Embed plug-ins in any ActiveX application. This control can host most Netscape Plug-in API (LiveConnect) plug-ins, allowing them to use them in your existing ActiveX applications, including Internet Explorer.
  • Plug-in For ActiveX controls : Embed ActiveX controls in any NP API application. This plug-in hosts ActiveX controls allowing them to be used in browser such as Netscape 4.x/6.x, Mozilla and Opera.

New versions of the ActiveX plugin for Firefox 1.0.7 & 1.0.6 are now available for download. You can find the sources, documentation and demos at the project website. Really great job !

23 Comments on "ActiveX in Firefox,The Mozilla ActiveX Project"

1. dave January 5, 2007 at 7:52 pm · Reply

When will you have a windows media player activex plugin for firefox 2.0?

2. Mikol January 8, 2007 at 3:00 pm · Reply

Is there an activex plugin for firefox 2.0?

3. Hergio January 12, 2007 at 3:18 pm · Reply

I too am very interested in an ActiveX plugin for FireFox 2.0. I have emailed the author of the previous plug-in versions (site linked above) and have not received any response.

4. KELLY January 30, 2007 at 12:53 am · Reply

why cant I listen to sirus sat radio on firefox !!!!

5. Iain January 31, 2007 at 3:34 pm · Reply

I haven’t had a problem with listening to Sirius on FF 2.0. I would just like the ActiveX to view the artists and songs.

6. Neves February 12, 2007 at 9:20 pm · Reply

Some embedding works, some doesn’t.
    It’s just deceiving users that believe in improved software by updating to the latest version(s).
    The features that woulnd’t work properly should have been put public. Period.

7. Richard L Walker March 5, 2007 at 11:41 pm · Reply

Guess they just pop out any new version of Firefox when it is available and stable whether or not needed plugins are available. When the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing, how is this better than IE … which (by the way) still handles activex. Sad.

8. LJ March 19, 2007 at 4:42 pm · Reply

I don’t understand why Firefox is being criticized in the last two posts. They develop the core browser not the extensions. The ActiveX control is a plugin. ActiveX was never a part of the core product because it is so prone to security issues and one of the goals of Firefox is to be less vulnerable than IE. Someone decided they wanted ActiveX functionality so they wrote an plugin.
    This is like being mad at Apple because the Belkin accessories that worked on your 3G iPod don’t work on the new 5G iPod.
    Firefox 2 is a great improvement over previous versions of Firefox. I love the new functionality. BTW, if the Mozilla ActiveX Control developers are looking at this, there’s a huge need for an updated FF 2.0 compatible plugin.

9. Morgoth March 23, 2007 at 7:16 am · Reply

I agree with LJ. ActiveX is written by Microsoft and as such, Microsoft will always include it’s functionality in current versions of IE, but that doesn’t mean Firefox has to do it too, especially if they consider it to be a security risk.
    If the previous posters want to blame anyone, let them blame the sites that use ActiveX technology rather than something that is more compatible with all browsers. Then again, how can one blame those sites for providing to the majority who use IE?
    Instead of laying blame, why not start up a fund raising campaign for those sites to develop for IE & Firefox users.

10. Hatem March 23, 2007 at 4:20 pm · Reply

Unfortunately there are some applications that really require ActiveX and currently there is no alternative. I give you something concrete: webtwains ! Maybe you don’t need this when browsing a website but it’s very important for the web industry. And since there is no alternative for firefox, I’m forced sometimes to use IE. Will try to talk about this with someone from Mozilla and keep you updated.

11. Olotiv June 6, 2007 at 8:45 pm · Reply

Yeah, my friends, I’ve got Firefox 2.0.0.4, how can I watch this video?!?
    There isn’t an ActiveX plugin yet!

12. Hatem June 6, 2007 at 8:55 pm · Reply

Olotiv the link you mentioned work with flash not with activex, and it’s working from my Firefox.

13. Jacq June 30, 2007 at 9:04 am · Reply

Actually, IE7 doesn’t support activex properly. I’m trying to download using a MS activex control and it crashed the browser in vista….can’t have everything..but sure would have liked to have something.

14. roboyeti July 7, 2007 at 7:39 am · Reply

As a user of MAX, I would love to see a Firefox 2 release. Otherwise…back to embedding IE in my apps for me.
    A bright future of Firefox / Mozilla based apps written in any language that can use ActiveX controls (all MS languages, Perl, Python, Ruby, and god knows how many more) is getting cut down before it even got underway with this project getting abandoned.

15. fireball July 17, 2007 at 11:51 pm · Reply

god i fuckin hate this i want to watch a video but its so fuckin gay and it wont let me unless i have a stupid plugin

16. Spike November 5, 2007 at 8:32 am · Reply

Hey Hatem – saw your comment about webtwains, I wonder if you meant TWAIN scanning? I’m in that business, and would love to help my customers build distributed scanning applications with Firefox. What we need is support in Javascript (or the DOM) for scanning as we have for printing. If you find anybody to talk to about this, or if there’s any way I can help, let me know! You can find me through my website, http://www.dosadi.com

17. vswishgirl December 20, 2007 at 6:30 am · Reply

I too, am interested in a Plugin to deal with pages that need the OCX ActiveX Control — particularly because I recently purchased a WVC54GC Linksys Web Cam — and the remote video access (when using Mozilla Firefox) does not work — nothing loads in the page… Linksys, of course, says that they only support and test use with IE and Netscape and recommend that I use that. I hate being told to forgo all of my own preferences and user experience just because they won’t work it out for a pretty major browser… My best workaround is the plugin that auto-launches 1 IE window for known sites that won’t work in Firefox — this link http://ieview.mozdev.org/ for IE View 1.3.4 — at least it doesn’t interrupt my work flow when I am in Firefox already, it just launches on a case by case basis from a list.

18. nynejin March 24, 2008 at 7:49 pm · Reply

i’ve problem about activex

19. Lance March 26, 2008 at 3:36 am · Reply

Ie tab 4tw on sirius internet radio…

20. orip December 9, 2008 at 4:01 pm · Reply

For Firefox 3.0 see this extension:
    You need to adapt the HTML, so it won’t work on third-party sites targeting IE, but you can make ActiveX controls work on your own site.

21. gejo January 16, 2009 at 8:16 pm · Reply

I found an other ActiveX plug-in that works.
    It is called neptune.
    See for more info http://www.meadroid.com/neptune/index.htm

22. olotiv January 22, 2009 at 1:11 pm · Reply

Oh, thanks, my friend, I’m sorry, I haven’t read this thread for 18 months:-(… Anyway, Firefox is stille the best browser! Best regards

23. Leeor Aharon February 8, 2009 at 8:31 am · Reply